Recipe for Whitebait Fritters from the West Coast Wildlife Centre, Franz Josef.
- 7g (1 tbsp) flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 250g West Coast whitebait (drained and gently washed)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Clarified butter (to cook in)
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- Sieve flour onto beaten eggs and lightly whisk together.
- Stir in whitebait and seasonings.
- Heat a small amount of clarified butter in a heavy frypan. Drop spoonfuls of fritter mix into hot clarified butter.
- Fry quickly on one side, only until egg mixture sets. (Do not wait for whitebait to go white).
- Turn fritter and quickly brown on other side.
- Drain fritters on paper towels and squeeze lemon over fritters.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.